Claimant (Employee) – Estimate of costs
INDICATIVE ESTIMATE OF COSTS
(for pursuing a simple unfair dismissal claim or wrongful dismissal claim)
X -v- XYZ Limited
The prices below indicate how much you will have to pay for each stage of the litigation (and are capped, unless the matter is overly complex or becomes protracted)
Time estimate (hours)
Low estimate (excluding VAT)
High estimate (excluding VAT)
Liaising with you to draft, amend, finalise and lodge claim, including perusal of all papers
5 to 7
Producing the Claimant’s list of documents and dealing with inspection
Producing joint bundle of documents (if necessary)
Witness statements:-Based upon two witnesses (with each statement taking 4-6 hours to complete)
8 to 12
Costs in preparing for the hearing
4 to 6
Witness training (one session for all witnesses)
3 to 4
Miscellaneous issues: (e.g. meeting with you if required, preparation of final hearing bundle, settlement discussions, instructing Counsel, correspondence with the Tribunal and Claimant's representative and participation in any interlocutory hearings)
10 to 15
Centurion Legal's fees in GBP (excluding VAT and barrister's costs)*
40 to 50
Centurion Legal's fees in GBP (including VAT at 20% but excluding barrister's costs)*
*Services not included within the above quote
- A barrister to represent you at the final hearing which costs approximately £1000-£1,250 per day plus VAT (or £1,250 – £1,500 including VAT). We collect the fee from you and pay it on your behalf.
- Any additional witness statements
- Fees (both for Centurion and a barrister) for any appeal against the Tribunal’s decision or for any separate hearing to determine remedy (usually compensation)
- Pursuing any other claims, such as automatic unfair dismissal, discrimination or whistleblowing, which are more complicated and quoted for separately and on demand
- We have also assumed a two or three-day hearing. For more complex hearings, our fees may be more.
Representation by Roscoe Fernandes (Principal Solicitor at Centurion Legal) with over 19 years’ experience of handling Employment Tribunal claims for both Claimants and Respondents on a local and national basis. His hourly rate is £195 per hour plus VAT (or £234 per hour inclusive of VAT).
For further information on Roscoe’s experience and qualifications, please see the following link – https://www.centurionlegal.co.uk/about-us/
The Tribunal aims to decide your claim within 28 weeks of serving it upon the Respondent (usually your former employer). Actual timescales may vary according to the complexity of your case (which will affect the hearing length) and the Tribunal’s workload.